Are you a forward-looking executive who wants to stay on the cutting-edge of current thinking about business, productivity, and how to create better results?
Are you a manager seeking to take your team to a higher level of achievement and performance?
Are you an ambitious individual who wants to continue learning and growing, in order to stay competitive in today’s fierce job market?
If you answered yes to any of the above, my new Outsight Business Book Club may interest you. And the best news is that this unique opportunity is FREE for all my readers.
What is the Outsight Business Book Club About?
Readers of my blog know that I’m a lover of books and, more importantly, of the valuable, game-changing ideas they contain in their pages. Books are the easiest way to practice Outsight—the process of interacting with the outside world in order to gain a valuable new perspective on the challenges we’re facing every day. Armed with the newfound wisdom in books, we can take more effective action and produce better results in our lives, or organizations.
To facilitate this process, I’ve decided to create a moderated virtual book club that I’m calling the Outsight Business Book Club.
The book club will be organized, curated and moderated by yours truly.
How Does It Work?
- We will choose an awesome new business book from today’s most respected thought-leaders and the club will read the book together for 4 to 5 weeks (about 2 chapters per week). We won’t rush the reading and I’ll try to select books that are available on audio, either on CD or through Audible, in case you find this more convenient. The idea is that if you can dedicate just 20 minutes per day to reading or listening, you’ll be prepared for the weekly discussion. By sharing the experience with a group, you multiply the benefit of reading. It’s a small investment of time that will pay huge dividends in your life, I guarantee it!
- The club will meet every Thursday at 7:30 pm via GoToMeeting and I will lead a discussion of the ideas presented. The club will be comprised of a diverse group of leaders and professionals so it will be enriching, not only to absorb the ideas in the book, but to learn from your fellow book club member’s experience, insights and interpretations of the week’s readings.
- You can connect to GoToMeeting from your mobile device which means you can participate even if you’re away from your computer.
- GoTo Meeting gives us 6 HD video feeds, but if you’re too shy to be on camera (like myself) you can just be part of the audio. The sessions will take 45 minutes and we’ll start and end on time. I will record all sessions and will forward them to all Outsight Book Club Members. By having recordings available, you won’t miss any of the action in the event you can’t make a club meeting.
- Of course, 45 minutes is not enough time to unearth all the ideas we encounter in the book, or to discuss all the insights that club members might share. For that reason, the discussion continues on LinkedIn in our exclusive LinkedIN Group. There, you can connect with other members and share additional insights and ideas about how to apply what we learn, at work or in our personal lives. Once you sign up, I’ll send you an invitation to our LinkedIN Group.
- After we’ve finished reading the book, the discussions on that particular title will continue on LinkedIN for another 3 weeks before we begin reading our next business book. Actually, the discussion on any title can continue indefinitely but there will be a reading break of about 4 weeks between books so that we can reflect upon, and live with, the ideas for a while. Our intention is not to race through as many books as possible, but rather to take the time to go deep in the exploration and application of the ideas in today’s best business books. We seek quality, not merely quantity; real and tangible results; true growth and learning.
Additional Goodies for You
To enrich the learning experience even further, and to help spread these ideas, all participants in the discussion will receive the following goodies at no cost:
- Standard Book Summaries (PDF), so you can share the main ideas in the books with others on your team or in your organization (like your boss).
- Visual Book Summaries (PDF, PPT), so you can quickly transmit the main ideas in the books with others in your organization in easy to understand visual form.
Here’s what people are saying about Angela Duckworth’s new book.
“A contemporary classic—a clarifying and deeply-researched book in the tradition of Stephen Covey and Carol Dweck. For anyone hoping to work smarter or live better, Grit is an essential—and perhaps life-changing—read.”
—Daniel H. Pink, author of Drive and To Sell Is Human
“Grit is a persuasive and fascinating response to the cult of IQ fundamentalism. Duckworth reminds us that it is character and perseverance that set the successful apart.”
—Malcolm Gladwell, author of The Tipping Point, Blink, and Outliers
“If you have recently bumped into that word, grit, Duckworth is the reason…In education and parenting circles, her research has provided a much needed antipode to hovering, by which children are systematically deprived of the opportunity to experience setbacks, much less overcome them…What sticks with you [in Grit] are the testimonials, collected from sources as disparate as Will Smith, William James, and Jeff Bezos’s mom, that relentlessly deflate the myth of the natural.”
“Enlightening…Grit teaches that life’s high peaks aren’t necessarily conquered by the naturally nimble but, rather, by those willing to endure, wait out the storm, and try again.”
—Ed Viesturs, Seven-Time Climber of Mount Everest and author of No Shortcuts to the Top
—The Wall Street Journal